Friday, July 11, 2014

Promise-Breaker

I'm a promise-breaker. I told the Lord last week that was it, I was going to quit being impatient, that I was going to make a real effort to practice self-control over that sugar addiction and rise early regularly to read my Bible. I failed in each of those areas, almost immediately. Thankfully, God is not a promise-breaker. He said that His Holy Spirit would complete the work that He started in us. He said we wouldn't have to do it on our own. In fact, going it alone often results in the exact opposite of what we're trying to accomplish. God desires that we depend on Him and recognize our weakness and need for Him. What a contrast to what the world tells us--that we are only successful when we are fully independent and strong. God, the Promise-Keeper, made a covenant with us specifically so we would rely on him and then we would know His great love and care for us. True success would derive from that powerful relationship.
 
 
When it comes to promises, I'm so thankful I don't have to be dependent on my own efforts. I would always get only so far before I would slide back into my previous habits. I see progress though. Slowly, but surely, He's moving me toward growth and change... because He's not finished with me yet!
 
(photos taken a few nights ago of a full-arched, double rainbow that blew us away for about half an hour)

No comments: