Thursday, May 14, 2015

Day Fourteen: Stuff Gets In The Way



Before my feet touched the floor, I laid in my bed planning out my day and how fabulous I was going to be. I'd already prayed for patience and wisdom, I'd mapped out some solutions to possible roadblocks, and I was determined to check off the boxes of productivity before I laid my head down at night.

But stuff got in the way...

*She pulled her tiny body up, stood on the bed rails beside me and babbled about having a poopy pull-up. Oh man! I was sure we were almost "there" with the training at night. That meant a big clean up and bath would ensue.

*He stared out the window and begged to put the books away. The trail was calling him and there was no way I would be able to wrangle the distant thoughts of my young outdoors man.

*My turn came to spend the day with my sister-in-law, cutting small morsels to eat, administering pain medication, tucking blankets around her weak body. It was my honour and my pleasure, even though it was heart-wrenching to see her so altered. But, not much school that day; my kids were home alone again.

*I was interrupted as I attempted my morning devotions. The girls were clanging dishes, the washing machine timer went off and the odour of burning toast wafted into the room where I had settled in with afghan and the Word of God. Nope, not going to happen. 

But... soon enough, our sprout of a girl went home to be with her momma during the week and now I pick her up on Fridays to come home with us for a mere two and a half days. Sure, the school room is quiet and the work flows easily from the pens of my children, but we miss her. 

*My son needs to read Frog and Toad and write out his spelling words but catching toads teaches him more than any book ever could. 

*Each day with Linda is precious and I'll drop everything, if I need to be with her, memorizing every moment to ensure it's cemented in me. 

*Stuff gets in the way and I can't always sit down and begin my day with God as planned, but thankfully, He still hears me as I go about living and I, Him, as His voice guides me. I'll make that reading happen later in the day this time, and not be discouraged.
I'm so very thankful that stuff gets in the way of my plans. My heart is broken and healed, broken again and then well-taught. Life happens and the Lord keeps me learning and growing and reminding me of His love in the middle of it all.  

2 comments:

Jill said...

What a beautiful post... very touching. Have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings,
Jill

Camille said...

Yes, *stuff*...I hear you, friend! You are a blessing. Hugs to you! Love, Camille