Saturday, November 14, 2015

Day Fourteen: Unbelief

Every independent action to fix a situation,
 in the life of a child of God,
 is a demonstration of unbelief. 
Beth Moore

I prayed for God to handle the monstrous pile of rubble that was left on my doorstep by life. Yes, I had also dumped a bit from my pockets that I'd collected too. But I took my prayers back. Truly, I wanted to believe He could take care of it but the pile was being added to almost daily and I was no longer able to see above it. I thought if perhaps I shifted a few rocks, took a couple off the top, pushed the pile, then maybe, it would move--the whole thing--would vanish, just like that. But He'd given me a distinct sense that I shouldn't take a step in removing the accumulation on my own. He had a plan and desired to demonstrate his love, glory and power but I got in the way. His still, small voice made me shiver when I opened my mouth in that conversation, the one where I attempted to dig away at some pebbles in the pile, but I kept talking anyway.

I wondered why my prayers weren't being answered. It felt like a lifetime waiting for God's move. All along He was waiting for me to hand over the shovel. Finally, when I understood my unmitigated dependence on Him, He began pulling away the rocks. One at a time at first, and then suddenly, they were all gone. The way in which He did it surprised me and I prayed I'd never pick up the spade again--unless He asked me to. 

Cast all your anxiety on Him 
because He cares for you. (I Peter 5:7)

 For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are My ways your ways, declares the Lord. 
(Isaiah 55:8)

No comments: